April 05, 2009

Framebuffer

My system is working, let's play with it. First: the framebuffer.

Here are the steps I followed to get it to work:
  1. Configure your kernel to hoave both uvesafb and viafb built in the kernel.
  2. emerge v86d
  3. Append video=uvesafb:1200x800-24,mtrr:3,ywrap to your kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf
  4. To install splash screen, do an emerge ">=media-gfx/splash-themes-gentoo-20090324" splashutils
  5. Generate the initrd: splash_geninitramfs -g /boot/fbsplash-natural_gentoo-1280x800 -r 1280x800 natural_gentoo
  6. Append splash=silent,fadein,theme:natural_gentoo console=tty1 to your kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf
Along with that, I discovered that the theme natural_gentoo had also a grub splash screen. To install it, go to the fbsplash website and download the archive for natural_gentoo. You will find a gentoo.xpm.gz file. Copy it in /boot/grub/ and change/add this line to your grub.conf: splashimage=(hd0,X)/grub/gentoo.xpm.gz. Now your have a new theme for your grub!

By the way, if you want to be able to use your trackpad in terminals, do this:
  1. rc-update add gpm default
  2. /etc/init.d/gpm start

3 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I think you write excellent manual for Gentoo and NC20. Unfortunalely i have another VIA Nano based netbook - VIA OpenBook based VED8900 from iDot computers. And i tried un failed to install on it Fedora, because in Live mode i even couldn't normally start X, they loaded only with option video=vesafb, vga=791.

    Is option you used - video=uvesafb:1200x800-24,mtrr:3,ywrap - can be suitable for VED8900, too? VED8900 has 8.9'' screen, but CPU and chipset is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awsome! I've been looking at the nc20 for some time but I couldn't make up my mind since I didn't know if the via things would run gentoo. ('course it would, the gentoo devs could make my TI calculator run enlightenment, I mean if a mere mortal could make it work...) Now I'm gonna run and buy it right away =)

    I do have one question though, how about the wireless lan? I've ran gentoo for a few years on my old laptop and I've never had a great problem that couldn't be solved on a few sleepless nights in front of the gentoo forums. Except for the wlan...
    If you have made it work, please tell me all about it:)

    ReplyDelete