March 30, 2009

Gentoo Install -- First Step : Ext4

Now that I have made some place on the HDD, I can (finally) begin to install Gentoo.

Unfortunately, the filesystem I have chosen is ext4, which is included in the 2.6.28 and above kernels, is not supported by any gentoo live cds (I have only seen 2.6.27 kernels). Nevertheless I found out that the beta of the next Ubuntu release uses a 2.6.28 kernel, so I created a live USB (with unetbootin) to boot with.

New issue : X doesn't work with the NC20 on this particular live Ubuntu, so I switched to a VT (Ctrl+Alt+F1), and continued the installation as explained in the Gentoo Handbook.

Note that I was able to create an ext4 partition with the Gentoo live usb, but I couldn't mount it...

Edit: SystemRescueCD is a live Gentoo with ext4 support enabled, so next to the live Ubuntu, this one is far better

No comments:

Post a Comment